Consulting careers are multiple jobs. And while you’re focused on today’s client, project or partnership, you must also manage your business and plan for tomorrow. Building relationships, balancing work & life, using the right tools to manage your business and your client work all takes practice, precision and dedication. Every consultant has a process that clearly defines the practice, usually an expertise developed over several years. We’re here to share our knowledge, lessons learned and hopefully, save you a few hours of sweat and tears along the way.
Upon completion of the Astonishing Consulting Careers Master Class you will have:
- A good understanding of the challenges and opportunities involved in building your consulting career.
- A strong understanding of the tools you need to manage client work and your business.
- Confidence in your consulting career roadmap, networks and partnerships.
Week One: Why
- Discover Your WHY – what motivates you to begin this journey
- Establish your vision – set expectations and targets for the long term vision
- Define your niche – what sets you apart from everyone else
Week Two: Making the Shift
- Things to consider for a smooth transition from employee to independent consultant
- CEED: Center for Entrepreneur Education & Development (Guest Speaker)
- Money – what are my options?
- When to incorporate?
Week Three: Managing Your Business
- Visibility – the value of your website and key considerations as you hire or build out that tool
- Promotion – key considerations for marketing, social media platforms, messaging & content
- Budget, Bills & Earnings – tips and tools for keeping money-in & money-out clearly organized
- Paying yourself (Guest Speaker)
Week Four: How to Work and Act as a Consultant
- Landing a client – tips and recommendations for building a relationship, maintaining connection and landing a deal
- How not to over or under bill a client
- Lessons about working with the client team
- Getting the job done no matter what
- Time sheeting to clearly describe how you are spending your time and their money
- Billing/invoicing your client with tact and professionalism
- What to do, and not do, if remittance is delayed
Week Five: Integrated Tools that Save Time and Money!
- Document management tips and tools
- Activity tracking and reporting tips and tools
- Best Practices for team collaboration to keep the conversation current and the team informed
- Working remotely & using online notebooks
- Reference materials and access to experts
Week Six: Lone Wolf or Team Leader?
- Considerations of benefits and challenges when working on your own vs working with a pool of resources
- Reasons to build a team
- Scaling up! There are many ways to do it.
- Human resources management & payroll (Guest Speaker)
Week Seven: Insurance is Key
- Have you considered business insurance? What about services insurance and other categories?
- Discover types of insurance your practice may need for the services and/or products you offer
- Understand the limitations with insurance and how to keep your coverage current
- Insurance Pros and Pitfalls – avoid liabilities (Guest Speaker)
Week Eight: Tax – Make Your Money Work for You
- Understand your tax obligations across Personal, Corporate and GST remittances
- Discover your preferred method for paying yourself and understand the tax impacts of Salary vs Dividends
- Be confident you understand your responsibilities for payroll taxes
- Discover ways to make your money work harder for you with some insights to Tax Planning
- Guest Speaker (Tax Planning)
Week Nine: Being Strategic and Setting Targets
- Why you need a strategy and how to develop it
- Why its important to set goals and measurable targets.
- Monitoring progress and adjusting along the way
- How to maintain control and stick to the plan when everything seems to be going wrong
Week Ten: Lessons Learned and Ongoing Coaching
- First things first – taking care of you
- Partnerships vs competition – it’s a matter of mindset
- Work life balance – there has to be one and we all find this a challenge
- Celebrate success to stay positive and remind yourself and your team about your achievements
- Stay in touch – ongoing coaching
Week Eleven: Coaching for Leaders
- Leadership – it takes work to continue to develop as a leader
- Work Life Balance Coaching to stay healthy
- Believing in your journey
- Guest Speaker – Leadership Coach
Week Twelve: Wrap Up
- Learnings over the last 12 weeks
- Key takeaways and materials to reference
- Staying in touch for ongoing coaching
Cynthia Giles, President & CEO Capstone Project Solutions
Tracey Gant, President Grey Horse Consulting
Course Name: Astonishing Consulting Careers Master Class
Required Text/Materials: None
Date: January 10, 2022 – March 31, 2022
Time: Tuesdays 3:30pm – 7:30pm AST OR Thursdays 4:30pm – 8:30pm AST
Location: Virtual Classroom (details to be provided in student welcome package)
Cost: $1,899 CDN per person
Class Capacity – 8 students